Spice It Up
This week on People Helping People, Tonya Vora shared her story of building Spice Up, an event sharing stories over diversity & highlighting cultures of chefs that have been impacted by immigrant experiences. Their next event is a Syrian brunch, at the Mazah Eatery in Grandview, this Sunday, February 16th.
Students from the University of Nottingham founded FoodPrint, a social enterprise that saves and sells food that supermarkets would otherwise throw away. Since they’ve started, they’ve rescued 30 tons of food from being wasted, and they’ve even picked up a major global impact award (and they didn’t even have to steal it!)
Food Nerd is busy in their Buffalo kitchen dreaming up snacks which are actually good for us. Snacks made from whole food plant-based, mostly raw, organic, gluten-free and filled with superfoods… even their packaging is earth-friendly. Will they bring the healthiest snack ever to the market?
Social enterprises are bringing the spice of life to Scotland. Their 2019 Social Enterprise Census highlights almost 140 food, catering and hospitality social enterprises that are making an impact through food, tackling issues such as addressing food insecurity, sharing culture, empower marginalised people, and delivering new healthy dishes. Food is one thing that all connects us, and so it’s a great way to make a social impact.
Everytable, a popular Los Angeles based social enterprise, offers healthy, made-from-scratch meals that everyone can afford. They just raised $2.5 million to expand on their local subscription and distribution model to reach more people. They also have a cool SmartFridge service, a pseudo-vending machine, restocked throughout the day to provide fresh, healthy food that’s easy to access.
 Columbus Corner
Here are some upcoming events – all of which Wild Tiger Tees, our social enterprise (empowering youth experiencing homelessness) has printed t-shirts for:
- Business Generating Good Summit, Saturday 2/15 – Put on by the OSU group Alleviating Poverty Through Entrepreneurship.
- Brunch at Mazah, by Spice Up, Sunday 2/16 – You can learn about Syrian culture while feasting on this Mediterranean brunch.
- Westerville Rotary Fish Fry, Sunday 3/1 – Their annual fundraiser is supporting the Star House in more ways than one this year!
- O2 Conference, Sunday 3/1, 5 pm – Be part of bringing to life some inspiring ideas of 6-12 graders to create a social impact.
- Unchained Fashion Show, Saturday 3/28 – Raising awareness on human trafficking through a fashion show.
- GiveBackHack, April 24-26 – Because I know you want to launch your own social enterprise!